Much of what we do in life depends on what we consider our purpose and mission to be. Jesus came to earth for divine purposes. While on earth, He faced many things aimed at distracting, diverting or discouraging Him from this divine mission and purpose – think of the temptations faced in the wilderness, think of Peter after hearing Jesus foretell of His death on the cross, saying to Him, “Far be it from you, Lord! This shall never happen to you.” and think of the crowds longing for a hero and a king. Through it all, Jesus remained steadfastly focused on the purpose of His coming – that the world might be saved through Him (John 3:17) and to glorify the Father (John 17:1).
We desire to be a local church body at Midway that is committed to the mission God has given us, even in the face of distraction, diversion or discouragement. “What does it look like for us to live out the purpose of the church in 2018 in the south Lebanon area?” This is a question that the elder team actively considers and encourages all of us at Midway to consider together. As we seek to be faithful to our mission of ‘Lifting up the name of Jesus’ and our vision to ‘Bring the hope of Jesus to every neighbor, everywhere’, here are some key elements to us living for God’s kingdom in 2018 in south Lebanon.
- Being on a mission – living in the power of the gospel, engaging in the local Lebanon community, making disciples, sending from within, joining with others, local & beyond
- Investing in youth – a priority of developing devoted, life-long followers of Jesus Christ
- Growing in love – inviting & embracing all, caring for one another, growing LIFE groups, every part of the body important and valued, grace greater than sin
- Growing in faith – discipleship, equipping, mentoring, spiritual gift development, growing LIFE groups, serving in areas of giftedness / passion
- Caring for staff – establish a congregational care team, accountability, growth & development
- Strategically develop facilities to support the mission and vision of the church
As a church, we will be exploring each of these areas further for how we live with purpose together. There are and will be opportunities for everyone to be engaged in these areas of action. We encourage you to consider your place in the body of Christ at Midway Church, remembering that every part of the body is there for a purpose (I Corinthians 12:18). Let us all together “consider how to stir up one another to love and good works” (Hebrews 10:24) such that we faithfully remain committed to God and His mission together.
Encouraged by grace, strengthened by love and growing in faith
The Elder Ministry Team